Re: i-mac

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:24 PM, L.Angulo <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i wanted to ask you people how powerful his new imacs are for recording
> thinking about getting one as well

The new iMacs are exceptionally powerful for recording, due to the Nehalem CPU. I've heard engineers working on new octa cores that feel "cheated" by Apple's release of this iMac. Not optimally portable, as a Macbook Pro, but I guess you could not find more bangs for the bucks today if needing a studio machine for recording CPU demanding stuff, as in huge multi channel projects. All spec's are up there on the web but here is a quick quote:

Faster processors.
Quad-core power.
The available quad-core Intel Core i5 or Core i7 “Nehalem” processor in the 27-inch iMac puts four processing cores on one die, so data doesn’t have to travel far to get from core to core. This boosts application performance up to 2x over the previous-generation iMac.1 And unlike systems that connect memory to the processor through a separate controller, these quad-core processors connect memory directly to the processor, improving memory bandwidth up to 2.5x.2

I personally do not need that much computing power for recording and also need a portable solution, so I would rather go for a Mac Mini (check the new spec's!) or a Macbook Pro.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com