Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

both my cellos, Ariege and Sebastian, insisted that i respond to this.
(um, if anything, i am their tool)

a looping tool does nothing for me but record and repeat.  i can have
all the looping gear in the world, but it will just record and repeat
silence until i actually play music into it. when you say "cello" to
someone, it conjures up an image of specific tonal, musical and even
emotive characteristics. what analogous characteristics does "ableton
live" conjure up in my mind? nothing. its a blank canvas. if all the
electricity disappeared tomorrow, i could still perform, but i'd have
to hire 8+ cellists to play the music (which is actually how looping
started for me, i couldn't find enough cellists).

i know there are a lot of people on this list who do things
differently: you might make a piece by manipulating static, or like
tim exile use a single sample of a person crunching a potato chip.
some of you play my definition of a musical instrument and also play
your loopers like an instruments. in those cases your looper is an
instrument and i totally respect it. but i think of it as a whole
other world.

(p.s. interestingly, cello music, does seem to be a genre. people find
me for projects because they go on iTunes seeking "cello music" for
their ballets or films. i've wanted to drop the "one cello x 16" label
from my next album, but so many people find new music by searching for
the word "cello" that i feel like i need to leave it on there)