the magic act

I'm glad you brought this up, Christopher.

One of my frequent goals in looping is to try to not sound like I'm
looping., or to blur the line between what is looped and what is live.
I often get the impression of performing some slight-of-hand tricks as
well. Some of the stuff I do:

--Try to cover up the "seam" of the loop with more material, so there
isn't that obvious start/stop point. Any given point in the loop is in
the middle of something happening.

--Play something ultra simple with 'holes' into the loop, then fill in
the holes live. (Or a variation, play 'call and response' with your
loop.)

--Imitate the loop on your instrument while changing the original loop
settings. (Reverse, half speed, etc.)

--Create loops of different lengths (on different devices) that are
long periods of silence punctuated by only one or two notes. Play
something live that these notes will change the character of when they
appear.

--
Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com