Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music composition for 12th grade students...

1) When sampling, don't depend on the samples themselves to make it a
good song. A listener should get a sense of your creativity, not the
creativity of the people you're sampling.
2) Listen to songs you like, and pay attention to the dynamics - how
adding and subtracting layers creates the energy flow of the song.
3) Small details make a big difference - pay attention to this when
listening to songs you like.
4) The finished song should not sound like a bunch of samples and
loops laid across a grid in multiples of four. Add (or subtract)
little details to make each moment stand out. It's ok to use some
sounds only once.
5) Trim the fat! Seriously consider taking out any part that isn't
excellent or productive to the entire song. An excellent 3 minute
composition is way better than a 5 minute composition where you're
waiting for the good moments to come.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com