Re: airlines regulations - no instruments on board?

For long trips the best way to transfer instruments and gear is to use
a freight company. They will take your flight cases, load them on a
pallet with other people's cases and stuff, put the pallets on a cargo
plane and ship to the destination. .

You then take the regular passenger plane and when you get to the
destination you go to the freight company's office (or to their local
partner's office) and collect your flight cases. The same can be done
on your way back or with any in between stops, you just have to
arrange this with the company before you start the trip/tour.

This way, your instruments and gear are 100% insured for their value
(whatever happens to them you get the amount that you agreed with the
company), they are transported by professionals who know how to
actually load cargo on a plane (no more guitars destroyed because the
$#@$$@ luggage driver left them on the tarmac) and they are not
exposed to thieves and criminals, because the cargo area is completely
isolated from the passenger area and it is treated as top security by
the airport authorities.

Also, when your gear has a cargo status, it is not exposed to the
incompetent security personnel that you usually meet during check-in.
No more stupid questions, no more "what does this thing do? please
turn it on to see if it's a bomb", no more gear stolen by security
personnel that knows how much a Peterson tuner costs. Only the most
experienced and well trained are allowed to work in air cargo areas
and they are under the 24/7/365 watch of cctv cameras. They like their
job, they treat it with the same respect a musician treats his studio
sessions.

There is a reason why drug and gun dealers and terrorists avoid using
cargo services. They know they will get caught before the pallet even
gets out of the cargo room...