Re: Firewire interface recommendations

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 3:27 AM, André Donawa <andre@andredonawa.com>
wrote:
> I'm playing an acoustic guitar, so part of the problem is hearing both
>the
> live sound from the guitar and then the delayed sound from my amp.

I totally see your point there, André. When playing mic amped acoustic
flute I experience this odd phenomenon. With the flute I always have
the real source so close to my ears that it constantly blends with the
amplified tone. The fact that saves me from dreadful phasing blues is
that I use a lot of effects on the amplified flute tone. The massive
effect treatment (compressor, EQ, harmonizer) makes my amplified tone
sonically different from the acoustic tone and thanks to this there is
no annoying phase canceling effect.

In your situation I would also try using a silent DI box instead of
the amp and play by the delayed signal. But I come from a live
performing background and there we get used to different latencies
each night depending on how far from your guitar amp you have to stand
on that particular stage. I know it may not be fun for people coming
from a studio/headphones background, but you can learn to adapt to
latency. Symphony orchestra musicians do that as a crucial part of
their ensemble playing skills (because they sit spread apart and far
from the audience which is regarded as "the sweet spot" where each
each instrumentalist's sound is supposed to arrive at correct musical
timing)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se