Re: In search for a (cheap, but as long as possible) delay with varispeedpedal - update

Rainer Straschill wrote:

> Ok, back to the actual topic:
> Scott, it does not become apparent from that video (at least not to me)
> if that effect heard while changing delay time is varispeed or the
> "tape-head-moving" effect which you get e.g. on the DL4 (the difference
> between both was already explained by andy butler in response to Jeff
> Duke's post), but it seems to be the latter - alas. I'm not looking for
> that, I'm looking for the real digitech PDS-style thing ;).

Yep, it's hard to tell from that vid, but I reckon it's
a "head mover". There's no smooth pitch change, and once
the sound is mangled it never returns to anything like it's original sound.

The Electro Harmonix Memory Boy does varispeed.
but only 550mS.
..but you'd like the modulation options.

The relevant MoogerFooger MF-104z does a full second,
but is pricey (would hold it's value for re-sale tho).

those are both "analog" delays ( bbd chips).

With digital delays nowadays there tends to be a dsp chip
doing all the work. To do varispeed means you have to
interpolate twice, to do the moving tape head thing only
needs one interpolation....so unless varispeed is a
specification of the device it's unlikely to be implemented.

I kind of think that some of the older digital delays just
wired up the AD/DA converters to memory doing without
the (then expensive) dsp chip.  Then it was easy to
change the clock frequency of the whole device to change
the delay time.

andy