digitech jamman stereo

someone said: "Not sure what the point is of a 17 minute loop that is doubled note for note. What did I miss? "

in my ongoing search for the varispeed delay thing (obsessive could be the word for it...)
i have been researching a few things. i actually looked up "tape loops" on wiki, & found this:

David Gilmour used a loop pedal to play the 10-minute introduction to Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) during his solo concert (this concert was released on DVD as David Gilmour in Concert)

i thought that was most interesting. so i've been debating my self how much max time do i need?
i know that when i went from my 2 sec delays on my digitech rp100 to 12 sec on my dod d-12, i thought that was an eternity. but then when i had 23 sec of delay on the boss dd20-i didn' like how it manipulated the loops-it was much weaker to me than the dod d12. then when i went to the original boss rc20 w/ 5 min of looping time-i remember the 1st time doing a loop and not thinking about 12sec or 23 sec, whatever-it did seem freeing for a moment-but not really being able to do anything to the loops seemed something i wasn't so much interested it. sure-i could put whatever effects before or after, but i think i like the ability to treat my looping device as an instrument-and i will say that w/ the guyatone md3-i'll play a bit, and then i find myself messing w/ the delay time more and more....
so, i don't know....probably in the end, co's have to put out what they think they can sell a lot of, my pathetic needs obviously aren't what most consumers need.....so i have to adjust....i can dream though i guess.....
s---