Re: Max for Live: Potential for looping tweaks?

I would guess the odds for "freely arrangig clips via simple midi
controls" are quite low. I am basing this assumption on experiences of
using Live since version 3.0 and hanging on to the Live Forum
discussions all those years. Many users have been asking for simple
things like "deleting a clip by MIDI" but it has never been
implemented. Some nifty hackers have used extra software (Boom and
similar) to convert external MIDI into computer key commands, since
you can delete clips by pressing the delete key on the computer. Other
long discussions have been about the wish to move the left and right
loop point of a clip by external MIDI. Generally people have been
asking to control all those lovely Sample Control parameters by
external MIDI, but those calls have never been met. They finally gave
us the option to set sample loop points in audio clips by MIDI and the
Looper plugin.

Live was originally designed as a live remix tool, specialized in
handling playback of audio files with smooth time-stretch/pitch
algorithms and I guess a lot of the fundamental code in Live depends
on audio data being saved on the disc in order to make pre calculation
possible so the action can be smooth with no audio artifacts. That's
simply not possible with live looping since the source material does
not exist for the application until it enters the audio in port. I
doubt M4L can change that. But M4L can be used to hack the crippled
Looper plugin into something more interesting! :-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com