Re: Rép : Multi-tracks loopers questions LP1

On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:24 AM, andy butler wrote:

> The LP1 does have 2 "multifunction" buttons, Rec/Dub and Play/Stop,
> which do some of what Rec and Od do on the edp (and Mute too).
> ...but essentially, if you wanna do a lot of different things
> you'll need a switch for each.
>
> What you will like is that a single midi command can be used to do up to
>8 functions all with one press. Particularly useful
> if you have a standard way of working with the loops.

The LP1 is much more programmable than the EDP, but there are a couple of
key areas where it differs philosophically from the EDP with respect to
behavioral response:

* The LP1 tends to be much more focused on button presses than releases
and hence things like sus operations and short-press/long-press
distinctions largely need to come from having a smart MIDI controller
feeding the LP1 rather than from the LP1 itself.

* LP1 programming tends to be about executing a sequence of commands. The
EDP is more about shifting between varipus modes -- now I'm overdubbing,
now I'm multiplying, now I'm replacing, etc -- and while you can get some
of that effect with the LP1, since the command shift sometimes needs to
know where you are coming from as well as where you are going. For
example, it seems tricky to program buttons to shift between overdub
(feedback controlled by pedal amount of some other setting) and replace
(feedback = 0) though a sufficiently sophisticated MIDI controller could
probably handle it upstream of the LP1.

This is not to say that the LP1 is weaker or stronger than the EDP. Just
that it is different and the controller interaction is different.

Mark