"Amp du Jour" - and similar experiences

Just the other day, I was browsing through Nels Cline's websites and
re-reading his "Amp do Jour" article:
http://www.nelscline.com/tech.html (scroll down some).

Nels Cline describes how he usually uses amps provided by the
venue/presenter when touring, as "low-level folk like me don't fly
with amps - I don't even own a flight case for any amp I own!", and
the variety of amps he encountered on one of his tours, and how he
made them work with what he wanted to do.

Now my question to you: have any of you on any not-single-event and by
choice borrowed an item of your setup which is either considered very
"central" by you or by the public in general, and how did you make it
work? Your stories, please?

(To give some examples: if you borrow a DL4 because your electronic
stuff had suddenly failed upon arrival, this does not belong here
(because not "by choice"). And if you borrowed a guitar, but only used
it as a prop for your comedy routine, this does not count (because not
"central"). If, however, you borrow a whole trapset and a hand drum,
*that* would fit here!)

Yours,

               Rainer