Re: Software vs Hardware loopers

, Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
mark francombe schrieb:

It was a joke Rick,
I remember when just recently, I fell for another one of your jokes ;)

Hmm.. a pattern is emerging here... Note to self: you are not a comedian, keep that face straight!

Now I have been known for some rather complex setups in the past, but what you describe here sounds crazy, even by my standards... could you please add a more detailed description,

Hmm now let me think... Could I.. isnt that like the BEST question looping geeks like to here... almost never happens, of course, unless its from looping geeks... so yes .. I think I could..!

 including:
  1. how does your rack setup work?

My rack is quite simple really, Its guitar into guitar synth. Audio signal to mix, Synth signal to mix via Air FX. Guitar sound is made currently by Fireworx and Vortex. Then the rack contains 3 loopers. 2 X EDPs and one Repeater. Each of the EDPs goes to a dedicated DJ effect. The Roland EF303 and the Red Sound Federation.
Also in the rack is a drum-machine that recieves clock from EDP 1 (which sends clock to eveything basically, except the Federation, which gets clock from EDP 2. This EDP is brothered to EDP 1.
This set up is great, cos by altering the 8ths note speed on each EDP I can change radically how the 2 DJ effects time based effects process, which out being LOCKED to a midi clock value.

Thats it.. EXCEPT, that I have a modular synth, mostly Doepfer modules some Blacet, that also recieves clock from EDP 1, and an audio signal from the guitar channel. thus it can process my guitar via a kind of "sequenced ring modulator" patch I have.

  2. what is your pedalboard like, and which h/w sequencer are you using (and why not use Live instead of the h/w sequencer)?

The pedal board is under construction, mostely because Im having to fix all these old pedals first. But its just stop boxes. 2 Boss pitch shifters (different models.. PS3 and PS5) distortion, wah, Bitrman, Space Station (broken, trying to fix) and a HAX ring mod (not a ring mod actually, guy who made it to stoned to know what a ring mod is I think..

The sequncing thing is using a Frostwave Fat Controller, but todays efforts failed. Both the Ring mod and the picth shifters have expression jacks, I was hoping that patching CV to these jacks would work, but it doesnt, of course its resistance changing not voltage, so Im gonna have to make a well known circuit bending trick here. that is to stick a jack on a light dependant resistor, and tape it to a LED that is powered from the sequencer (this is actually called a Vactrol). So I think you see whay I cant sequencer using Live... how to get the midi out and then into CV and then do the same as what Im doing.. much easier to synch the Frostwave from the midi out jack and try and use that..
Im not saying Ill ever get it working tho...!!!

  3. I understand that you're using Live's pattern sequencer to do the programmed rhythms. What is your sound source (plugin perhaps)?
Nope just samples in Live.. remember Im a newbi in Live.. its kinda basic...

  4. patches that take random bits...is that some self-made kinda "processor looper" (built using what)? Could you describe that in more detail?

Well.. I said I was "working on".. again.. not sure what I will acheive, but please dont imagine Im doing anything max/msp -ish here.. nothing clever at all... Im first working on getting sound from a Mobius chanell into its own effected channel, (Is there any other way than using the send?) I have 1 send sending things to Mobius, and then the other send is 1 track of Mobius (maybe Ill just simplifiy and have the mix of Mobius) .. Now I just have a one of these choppy effects feeding a delay, this is basically chopping random bits out of Mobius and the delay is RE-looping it, albeit once (feedback at 0)... NOW I want to PROGRAM a envelope shaping VCA (Synth terminology) but havent found the right way to do this yet... in a rythym..
Thats it basically.. so NO.. Im not writing something.. I did do some of tis once, but that was on a PC, and now Im on a mac, I havent found a solution to SynthEdit.

Thats it...

Yours.. Mark

mark francombe
www.markfrancombe.com