softstep report #1

think I'll report as I go, since otherwise I'll never get around to it!

I downloaded the software, plugged in the pedal (comes with a nice
long USB cable in case you need to be far away from your computer),
launched the software and the pedal lit up with its friendly blue
leds. (reminds me of the dashboard of a mini cooper)It goes without
saying that the pedal is small, lightweight and cute. Its not TOO
small though. The numbered buttons are the same size as the one on the
FCB1010. The navigation arrows are small and I have to look at my
toes, but I think I'll get the hang of it.

I'm a bit impatient with manuals, so I decided to poke around the
software interface first. I didn't get very far, and had to go and
read the manual ;-)
I was stumped at first by all the modes, figuring out what was
clickable, trying to read the tiny fonts, and understanding the naming
terminology. However, after almost 2 hours of blundering around I
managed to grasp the rudiments of the interface and modify some of the
presets. Now I'm mapping these to run to the basics of my set. (I'm
told documentation of the presets is coming, so this will be a quicker
process).

As I started to realize the depth of what the SoftStep does, all the
interface modes begin to make sense. Every single thing is
customizable, from what kind of footwork the buttons respond to, to
how the lights behave (do you want a green light when you press?), to
how you want to page through your banks. I'm not even scratching the
surface of this pedal yet. So I'd rather have a complex, nested
interface where I can control any and everything, to an out-of-the-box
pedal that is not customizable at all.

So far I've got one "scene" (or what I would call a bank) that sends
Program Changes on Channel3 to MIDIPipe and one that sends notes to
Ableton on Channel1. Each scene is accessed by going left or right
with the navigation arrows. When I'm in my program change scene, the
navigation up and down arrows increase or decrease in increments of
10, just like you'd expect.  Now I have to make another scene of notes
for Ableton, and two scenes for SooperLooper and do some more
experiments with how I want the pedals to respond to my edwardian
boots and how the red and green lights should behave.

That's it for now.

Happy times!!

Zoe