Re: Great speech video on "Sound"

Title:
There is an interesting book by Daniel Levitin, "The world in six songs". It's about music and how it could have helped humans to survive. He talks about the co-evolution of music and the brain, how deeply music is engrained in our nature and how it helps us to bond, to cooperate or to transfer information. As neuroscientist and musician, he can approach the subject from both sides. I highly recommend the book (as well as his other one "This is your brain on music").

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:38:01 +0200
Von: Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
An: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Betreff: Re: Great speech video on "Sound"

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM, John Cecil Price
<johncecilprice@hotmail.com> wrote:
> a more interesting question here would be just why do we human's even need
> to tell stories-make music/art, etc., in the 1st place?
///////
> Or is there a genetic trigger drawing us all to storytelling-songs, etc?

I thinks so. That idea came to me from a radio documentary where they
compared a typical five year old children with a typical chimpanzee.
They are of equal intellectual capacity but the huge difference is in
sharing stories. The five year child is constantly telling stories -
about anything and to whomever want (or doesn't) to listen - but the
chimp just sits silent until a need of any kind arises.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com