Re: Sustainer Question

The Moog guitar uses some magnetic technology like the Sustainer.  There are special strings for the Moog guitar, so perhaps changing your strings might have changed the response you get.

toby
----- Original Message -----
From: Ingo Ito
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:56 PM
Subject: Sustainer Question

Hi everybody,

maybe this is a bit off topic for looping, but I could imagine that some of you might have this equipment and could give me some information or recommendation.

Short while ago I bought a Fernandes "Ravelle" guitar (Les Paul type of guitar) equipped with a Sustainer pickup for doing ambient live-looping. I changed the strings to my regular brand and gauge I´m using on all my electric guitars: D'Addario EXL110 (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046), but I´m not happy with the result for the Sustainer. The high e-string is not responding well (very slow attack) and when doing chords (only the fingering - to let the sound come "out of nowhere") not all strings are responding evenly, destroying the character of the chord.

I already tried adjustments of the pickup, the bridge and the pots on the Sustainer board inside the guitar (as recommended on the Fernandes website), but there´s no real improvement.

So I thought, maybe it´s the strings?! Any recommendations by Sustainer users? Different material or maybe different gauges?
I´ve read, that Adrian Belew is using a "thin&thick" set of strings on his Parker guitar, and as he´s using a Sustainiac system. I might give this set a try as well.

So any help or information is very much appreciated as always :-)

And besides, Happy New Looping Year!

Ingo Ito