Re: The EDP and the Looperlative and me

Happy New Year to everyone!

And you as well Per
I think it can be a bit confusing to just talk only about "which
looper" you like to use. Better then to start out speaking about what
you want to do with looping in your music. So here's what I want to
do:

- I want to just start playing music and record a loop whenever I feel
for it. My looper should then provide a tempo sync signal for other
gear to follow.
My looper can do that!!!!!!!WooHoo!!!!

- My looper should allow me to start with any length for my first
loop. Whatever musical part I start playing, and loop, the looper
should calculate a corresponding global tempo within a musically
comfortable tempo range. If I should start my concert with a 763
millisecond micro loop my looper should multiply the tempo base until
reaching a reference cycle corresponding to a tempo within my
preferred tempo range. If I should start my concert with a four minute
long loop my looper should divide my loop until reaching a reference
cycle corresponding to a comfy tempo.

this can be done on the LP-1 with multiply for your first example, and there is a work around to achieve the same result for your second example

- My looper should record stereo loops from any audio input I assign
to it, even mono inputs.

you got me there, LP-1 does not process mono to stereo, true stereo in and out, I use a hardware work around solution, the stereo outputs from my line 6 M-9

- Loop length can be changed either instantly by multiplying or
dividing - with any number (even 3, 5, 7, 9 etc) - or in real-time
while on-the-fly overdubbing a longer layer over a bunch of copies of
my first loop, for as long as I go (traditional "EDP Multiply")

 bounce can achieve this on the LP-1

- My looper should allow me to stack many alternative loops, in a
linear way, and instantly decide which one of them should play back,
switching playback loop according to my preferred quantize qrid (or
un-quantized, if I happen to be in that mode...)

not quite sure what you mean other than yes the LP-1 can do ABC song form

- My looper has to allow several parallel playback channels, as above,
so I can run multiple loops simultaneously and have fun with different
loop lengths, parallel loops inter locking in a synced way or
"free-wheeling".

yes

- My looper has to be able to change playback speed (good old
"vari-speed" effect) both tonally quantized to semi tone steps and
continuously (seamless pitch/speed shifting).

hmmm a qualified yes for the first , definite yes for the second
- For all functionality I prefer a modular approach, so I can set up a
bunch of actions to be triggered at once, or in sequence.

 yes up to 8 actions, at once  though sequencing cannot be done unless you have a midi controller capable of delayed command scripts like the LG.

- When working with several parallel loops I want to instantly decide
which ones of the loops that will be targeted for the command I give;
not being limited to manipulate only one loop at a time.

The only thing you can't do is group recording of multiple tracks at once. however you can do performance changes of groups of tracks or individual tracks while remaining in overdub or replace on a separate track, for example change one tracks pitch while still in over dub on another.

Summing up these wishes there is a bit of the EDP and a bit of the
LP-1 functionality. But the closest solution for me is to run Mobius
on a laptop. That gives me everything except for one wish: continuous
seamless pitch/speed shifting.

have you tried assigning track speed to a continuous controller on you LG? I can for example assign an expression predal that will move from normal speed to 1/4 speed and back  creating the time stratch+ pitch bend effect  similar to the one we all know and love from the Repeater with the exception that you can't time stretch without changing the pitch.

Per

Bill