Re: mainstage CPU,how good is it for live looping?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hoe gaat het met jou broer!

Goed ;-)

> thats what i thought,i will not even get into it if its CPU hungry and
> not stable,ive been really happy using mobius stand alone and x ternal
> fx because its really stable that way

With instable I mean crashes, audio drop outs, CPU spikes causing
serious problems when performing live on stage...in other words
unreliable. The thing is that, on the same laptop, Mainstage crashes
several times a day, Bidule is running OK, as well as Native
Instruments Kore2. Ableton Live has been the most stable of all the
last 2 months, it has never crashed, not a single time. The strange
thing is that Mainstage has been reasonably stable for about 6 months.
I have the impression that the problems have begun with OSX 10.6 and
Mainstage 2.1 and above. Anyway, Mainstage is over and out as long as
I haven't re-installed my laptop. I already too many hours in trying
to reproduce the problems and solve them but I have stopped spending
time on it. All I can say is that any combination of OSX, Motu
drivers, Mobius and Mainstage has failed on my Macbook.

> seems that Ableton  would be the answer,dont know how stable it runs
>with mobius

I don't know how it runs in combination with Mobius, haven't tested it
yet and won't test it because I use too little features of Mobius. The
only option I will really miss is the scripting.

> i dont know augustus loop though how does it compare to mobius?

Augustus is a tape delay with very little functions you'll find in an
high end looper such as an EDP, LP1 or Mobius. You can't really
compare them, they are 2 completely different beasts. But for my
Ambient projects, Augustus Loop is an excellent choice and good enough
for me: it's really stable and reliable, good analog and tape delay
emulation, and has all the basic functions I use, such as pitch -12
..+12 , reverse, filters, midi sync, delay times up to 3600 seconds,
tap length / tap record, freeze loop, clear loop. I use 2 or 3
instances simultaneously but unsynced so that makes it a relatively
easy looper system. However, you can sync multiple instances of
Augustus and setup a sort of multi-track looper but keep in mind that
you're using a tape delay emulation effect rather than a full featured
looper such as Mobius.

--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/