Trimming Down: Mixer options?

Okay. So maybe my rack doesn't go away. But it could get smaller and maybe
the mixer (Mackie 1642 or 1202 depending on the circumstance) goes away.

Any suggestions on what I could use that would let me:

* Mix a small number of stereo line level inputs
* Have one aux send (preferably stereo, but I can live with mono)
* Have an insert across main or provide me with a way to control the
volume being fed to my active monitors

Basically, I want to send some but not all of my signals through the
AM8000R. I can do this by routing them through it completely and letting
it pass the dry signal through or via an effects send.

I want to take my main mix and send it through the TC M-300 that provides
my main reverb and an SPDIF conversion and then I want to have a volume
control upstream of my monitors.

Right now, I'm using my Mackie 1642 to do all this, but it's serious
overkill for the task and it consumes a lot of space.

One solution might be a stereo line mixer and then some sort of volume
control post M300. Any suggestions what to use? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Mark