Re: Re: OT: Double Bass Looping of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir (Mainstage+Mobius+Softstep)

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Todd Matthews wrote:
> Damn, Those are both great covers! Awesome vocals. Man I wish I could
>sing. That's the ultimate instrument. Oh well, a bow is better than
>nothing:)
>
> -Todd Mathews
I think I read somewhere that John Coltrane said,  "All instruments
aspire to the human voice"

And you know,   I always wanted to sing and was always afraid (and
didn't like the sound of my voice).
Then as a producer,  I kept hearing singer after singer say that they
didn't like the sound of their voice,
so I started.  It finally occurred to me that most of those critical
voices where inside my head, not outside
of it as I had feared.  I've been singing for 10 years now and am NOT an
accomplished singer, but I can carry
a tune and I think, occasionally, that the voice really does add
something to the mix, even when only
singing acapella or even used for effects simulation (sound effects,
beatboxing, et.al.)

What I tell my young music students is:   Sing ever day........sing
unison with what you play so that you kill two
birds with one stone and remember all the people who started out with
really limited chops and became successful
singers.    Some of my favorite singers don't have great voices,  but
they have tons of humanity in there own.

Your inherent musicality is very evident, Todd.   I say go for it.    I
started at the age of 47.   I'm teaching a woman
who started at 62.

If you sing every single day,  you will become a singer.  That's how it
works.