Re: Rick's percussion post

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> Theres no worse kinda looping to me than this " Watch and marvel as I
>create
> a whole track out of nothing...
> "Heres the drums, here comes the bass, here comes the rythym.. then 5
> minutes into the track we have all the instruments going and the song can
> now start"

Yes, a big challenge in live looping is to create complex multi part
music FAST! For me the scripting in Mobius has helped a lot to get
right at the musical essential with less boring "transportation time".
Another solution is to make each part interesting in itself, maybe by
strategically choosing the best order for adding parts - so that each
new part raises a question mark that will be answered by the next
added part, thus creating a "questions vs answers" flow out of the
otherwise boring part-building phase. A third technique - that once
inspired Matthias Grob to come up with the idea for the EDP - is to
not play music that simply stacks parts on top of each other but to
make the music evolve by changing it over time, replacing parts,
adding new layers, fading out old stuff, fading in new stuff etc etc.
Rick, that initiated this thread, also talks a lot about "changing the
loops as you are performing" and he sure does that a lot in his shows.
I've even seen him improvise a decent ending to stop a live looping
piece that didn't immediately take off in an interesting way. By doing
that you still turn the "failure" into a decent piece of music,
although very short ;-), and you can go on with a new piece that will
then sound even more interesting as it takes over from the preceding
"less interesting" piece. Live looping is a lot about taking on the
audience's perspective on what you are doing as you are instantly
doing it. When performing you are both the conductor, the orchestra
and the audience at the same time (composer too if doing impro). IMHO
that's what it's about, having that split vision/hearing while
creating.

>  arn't we also over the...
> "Everything I do must be done BY looping"
> thing.

I love looping but one thing that never stops annoying me with
loopping is that you can't do ritardandi or accelerandi! This
frustration has led me to come up with live sound design that makes a
non-looping instrument sound similar in timbre to a stuffed looper, so
that I will be able to go from free playing into live looping and back
again with not too much feel of creating a musical break. This makes
it easier to combine the repeating machine like feel of loops with an
organic flow of rhythmically free playing. Picking up the Stick is for
me another way to achieve more instantly playable musical parts
without the need of looping one part before playing the additional
part. If you listen to Kora music you may find that it actually is
"live looping music but without the technical looping".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com