Re: SoftStep vs 1010

Hi,
I've been using a Roland FC-300 for several years. I bought a 1010 but moved to the Roland the next day, so I can't compare the two really well, except to say the Roland is dead easy to program and the learning curve is almost non-existent.
It's what you would expect from them. The build is excellent. There is a bit of Rolandeze involved i.e. some CC's are named (GM) rather than numbered. There is no computer editor that I'm aware of, unless you also have a VG system, which I don't.

In patch mode, you can send mixed strings of midi commands (Notes ON/OFF, PC's, CC's in any order) on the press and release separately. Editing is easy on the unit with insert and delete functions and patches can be saved/copied to new locations. You can add 3 expression pedals or 3 FS-6's (for 6 more switches) or any combination of those.
I think it's about the same weight as the 1010.
No editor, but you can dump sysex through the USB port to midi-ox

That said, I'd be much inclined to go for the Gordius, just for the portability, if I used it on gigs enough to justify the expense.