Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

> I took it to mean that it's all retro.

Well, I don't think it's about retro, it's about integration.
You see, the trend in society and music has been roughly the following:
1. Tradition (40's, 50's, "nice" music)
2. Revolution: (Rock'n'Roll, Stockhausen, electronic music...)
3. Globalization (World Music)
3. Integration (cross over of all genres, blended)

So, it's not retro in old-school sense, but mainstream artists use
whatever they can get hold off to create what they want.
So: it's about Integration.

my 2 cents
Buzap