Re: Stylus RMX and EDP

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> how good does it sync to midi clock if i have the EDP as master or slave?

As good as the host application syncs, since RMX is a plugin.

> How deep is the midi implementation,can i control the software as easy

Not all parameters are displayed to the host. I criticized this when
RMX was released and a Spectrasonics representative answered that "it
would be too many parameters if all should be accessible". But I would
rather have that because many host apps give you a list in alphabetic
order and even a plugin with a thousand parameters can easily be set
up for live or mixing automation (check Bidule)

> as ableton with a footcontroller and midi learn in stand alone mode to
> start,stop,change time signature feel etc?

If the functions you want to control are made available it could work.
But my experience with using RMX live is that it is too complicated to
keep a laptop system stable. Maybe a modern very powerful computer
would do better.

> with such a price tag would you say is worth getting?

For producing recorded music I think it is the best software for
programmed grooves. Not only guitar; I have recorded lots of african
hand percussion and guitar funk licks that I run through RMX as well.
The point where RMX excels, compared to other drum sample players on
the market, is the "Chaos" function; i.e. a semi intelligent random
generator. If you need this it is worth the price, since there isn't
any alternative you can buy to get the same thing.

Be sure to watch all Eric Persings demo videos - there's a lot of info and
fun!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se