Re: For you software folks....what interface?

I have just acquired a film scoring job, and may need to look at a new soundcard finally.
I have no money but might be looking to sell a few things to get a new audio interface. I have been lusting after the Motu Traveler as its a mixer too. But alot of you are mentioning RME.. Can you be more specific and point to a model, (and price)

Congrats on your gig.

I have been a long time MOTU user.  The Traveler disappointed me under Windows... Driver instability-- i know others who had no problems with it though.  And, under Mac OS X,  I had a very good experience with it.  The MOTU 896 has the best SW mixer that I know of.  Easy to use.  Lots of features and works in standalone mode (at the gig.)
RME has a better sounding converter, IMO.  But this is in the realm of the subtle-- so subtle that most systems, rooms and ears would never know the difference.

The biggest detractor to MOTU cards, I believe, is the sound of the bundled mic preamps.  Its not that they are noisy.   They are not.  But they are somehow not all that musical.  Depth of image..sheen of top end.. just not all there.  Even a Mackie Onyx sounded better to my ears.  (and I am no fan of Onyx.)   Still, I made several great sounding recordings on the MOTU rigs that I have owned -- including film scores and TV work (Mythbusters I did entirely on a Motu rig with cheap preamps!.)

As it happens, I recently moved to a Focusrite Sapphire 56--  The sound of the preamps is really great (for the money.)  And the Liquid Pre models are useful.. they don't hold a candle to the real thing but they are very, very, good.  The driver has been rock solid on both Mac and Windows and router has some very cool features that are unique to focusrite (i.e. Loopback to record audio from any application into your DAW)

The problem that I have discovered with Sapphire is that the bundled SW mixer supports only 16 channels.  DOH!   a 28 input card with 16 channel mixer?  Focusrite forget how to count?  -- so, I am now back to MOTU 896 as my  primary FW interface (It has a robust software mixer with internal effects and clip limiting on each input-- and it can be controlled via my USB controller.)  I just use the Sapphire as a set of great sounding preamps.

Mark, I have old cards laying around. Contact me off list. I might have something that can meet your needs that wouldn't cost you.

I have just acquired a film scoring job, and may need to look at a new soundcard finally.
I have no money but might be looking to sell a few things to get a new audio interface. I have been lusting after the Motu Traveler as its a mixer too. But alot of you are mentioning RME.. Can you be more specific and point to a model, (and price)

Mark

PS: Anyone wanna buy a TCElectronics fireworx?
--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com