Re: Something I just wanted to share with everyone

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Bryan Helm <bryanhelm@openrange.net>
wrote:
> Because Todd used the "J" word-
>
> "Americans love jazz , as long as it comes free with brunch"
>
>             Lionel Hampton
>
> . As to U2 (or "the ute" as I heard the late John Cunningham of
> Relativity once refer to them) they could barely play their instruments
> 30 plus years ago and they haven't really gotten any more adept at
> >playing their instruments or composing music since then, perhaps
> especially "show tunes". But I don't have to buy their stuff or listen
> to them against my will, so I don't care, it's just sad that it
> qualifies >as industry standard at this point in history. Must be time
> to practice...rant off.

I dunno, the esteemed Mr. Eno seems to think they're interesting and
talented enough to warrant his having worked with them for at least a
decade or so now.  I think the U2 bashing is ill considered and
actually a slight to the intended point of this thread I think.
They're very inventive for a popular band I think and I'm willing to
bet anyone on this list would have a very good time talking gear with
the Edge if they ever had the chance.

I just have a hard time with people slagging off popular musicians for
what basically seems to be the fact that they're popular; I think its
misplaced.

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org
Video http://www.vimeo.com/user877640/videos