Looping 50 Fugues with a 'Bass Choir' & an LP-1

 Hi Loopers!

Just wanted to share a project I'm working on: Michael Maier's 'Atalanta
Fugiens' (1617) -probably the first multi media document in history
including 50 fugues, 50 emblems, and 50 epigrams, meant to be enjoyed
simultaneously. Though composed in 1617, they have a droney, medieval
flavor, and I went for a kind of 'Black Sabbath meets Bach'
interpretation.

For the entire tracking process of all 50 fugues I used my trusty
Looperlative 1.

I basically did a live looping approach in my home studio, layering the
fugues up one part at a time, then I recorded it from the LP-1 to a laptop
as a stereo track into Digital Performer. No punching in or editing.  It
was awesome to be able to record with such a high sound quality all at the
touch of my feet! (thanks Bob!!) The ensemble is a 3 voiced ‘BASS CHOIR’
comprised of BOWED UPRIGHT BASS, ELECTRIC FRETTED BASS, and ELECTRIC
FRETTLESS BASS.

'Clarified Birds' my group with visual artist J.F. Uccello is set to
release this in December. Our intention is to create a fine book that
includes a CD along with it. Joe will be toiling at length as he’s
planning to create 50 emblems of his own inspired by and based upon the
original 50.

After the tracking was done, the audio was mastered by Robert Rich. Though
the fugues are only 1/3 of the total experience intended by Maier, I hope
that sharing the music might be of interest to any interested in music
with alchemical aspects, bowed bass, looping, or fine books.  Here is a
link to all 50 fugues streaming on 'soundcloud',

http://soundcloud.com/clarified-birds/sets

Hope you enjoy them! Steve uccello