Re: Curious about Ableton Live

Yes, Cool Edit was kind of "the holy graal" for audio restoration
under Window OS. Nice that it is still alive in Audition! Today I have
the GRM-Tools plugins on a Mac that offer a similar "noisy audio
cleaning" functionality. I've also been using the Waves Restoration
suite a couple of times. All these are file cleaning stuff that you
apply to recorded file as "sample editing" or "post processing".

Logic has a noise cleaning plugin but it is quite bad, works better as
"weird noise effect"  ;-)  Makes audio sway and bubble like
under-water sound.

Myself I rarely use those tools today, since they all color the sound
in some way. What I do instead to clean up recorded audio is to
automate EQ in the mixing process. I might dial in only a narrow EQ
band to become active for adjusting only these frequencies forexactly
about the time the noise disturbance exists in the recorded material.
This is a lot of work but quite fun - I also like to sweep narrow
frequency bands up and down just "as effect", a subtle way to make a
recording come alive. There are plugins that do this too (GRM) and it
is one of the most used techniques in Metasynth. Just another related
thought I found interesting to throw in here... :-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com