Re: New album not released!

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> Yes, for example, all the music I write for corporate I use one simple
> model. I charge per hour for the time it took to write, and then I
> license
> the recording (1 extra line in the contract of the whole multi-media
> production, not a 67 page EULA) whereby its use in THAT production is
> allowed forever. The company are NOT allowed to reuse the music or play
> it
> at any event, and that if they want to use it for TV advertising or
> another
> production, they must talk to me.

Yes, that's a typical scenario. But your example is of a different
kind: you get a commission to make music and then you make the music
and bill the client for the hours. In your case it works out pretty
smoothly for the client, but that might not always be the case since
recorded music normally has at least three different kind of legal
rights attached to it. Don't know the details for Norway but in Sweden
that's part of the fundamental law.

I was talking about the opposite work-flow: making the music first and
it is being picked up for use in a particular media production you
bill the man for the hours. Hence the name "library music". The point
is to offer such a vast library that any producer looking for music
may find something.

per