Re: Best looper for recording?

Boris Plotnikov wrote:
Mike! Why do you need looper for home recording? You can just record
sample to DAW and loop it. It'll be faster and easier.

...but faster and easier is for accountants

IMHO whole
greatnes of livelooping is that it's actually live.

exactly
ps.
it's great to see the harmonica challenge the predominance of the guitar :-)

Surely this is the classic meeting of the two worlds of live looping?

Those who loop to re-create a track live, alone. and those who loop because its looping and it sounds different from "playing".
Or the recordists verses the instrumentalists.

I dont think either approach is wrong from a live looping point of view,  and but lets face it, recording a part and then looping in the DAW, is not live looping thats just current NORAML recording techniques!!! I sure as hell dont play all the ay through a song anymore.. I just record the bits I need to put the track together.

BUT... if Im recording live looping, ite a different affair altogether, THEN the live looping actually MAKES the track, or creates the sound at least, so then I would play the whole track and record the whole thing. I MIGHT then add stuff in the DAW, like drums or strings or effects, and they I will use conventional recording techniques, like looping a bit on the timeline... Just cos Im a live looper dosnt mean I cant use other techniques too, its just not live looping.

So, Mike you have to ask yourself, what kind am I?
If you wanna create the whole dame thing live, then any quality soundcard and recording software would do for you surely (Ill put in a word for Reaper, just because) But if you wanna create all things live, WITH the ability to mix afterwards, then you need lots of channel Ins (this is what I WOULD LIKE, but dont have).
Or you can do what I do, record bits live looped and bits recorded and looped...

Its a recording!!! the trick is to get the audio out the other end, so you like the sound of it, not that you do it without "cheating" whatever that is...

Was it Black Sabbath who put, "there are no synthesisers on this album"...? Stupid.. Idiots...

And was it Jan Hammer (yikes) who put "there are no guitars on this album" a few years later.. Ha ha Genius!!

Live, I think there is such a thing as live looping, but surely at home theres just recording... whatever techniques you have to use to get the sound you need (admittedly mine is live looping) you should use...

PS; This is not really directed at Mike, dont think he needs such prosaic advice.. its just usual rambling from Mark..

Oh and I agree with Andy "Hurrah for the Harmonica!"

Mark

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com