Re: Re: LOOPING a DRY CLEANING SHOP

I feel you,  Matt.

There's something a tiny bit dishonest about it.......and yet,  I like the concept.

Rick Walker

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Matt Davignon wrote:
There was something that bothered me about these clips, including "musician plays a tree" (also featuring Diego) and "music for one apartment and six drummers". I gradually figured out that it's not the musicians themselves. I see Diego as taking the torch from  Matmos and running with it. He is doing a lot of creative stuff.

The thing that bugs me is the video treatment and promotion. He's not really playing a dry cleaning shop as an instrument - he's making lots of tiny recordings, then arranging them on the computer to make music. The video treatment suggests that he's playing all the "instruments" from start to finish live.

The "music for one apartment and six drummers" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVPVbc8LgP4) specifically lies to you - it doesn't even show the computer! Somehow, the drummers are able to amplify the sounds of perfume bottles, etc without microphones. Also, the sounds of books being dropped on the floor sound like handclaps, and sound exactly the same each time.

So yeah, it puts the sensationalism above the music, and that bugs me.