Re: Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Michael Carlson Music wrote:

I think some kind of combination of sampling, looping, and voice-to-MIDI will allow me to become the whole band and sing whatever song I want in my own a cappella style.

Does this sound crazy?
Not at all,  I think it's imminently doable.

You might look into finding a used LP-1 for the creation of your different chord schemes..... It's ability to record loops on the fly that have different lengths (by changing the master track status)
could let you do this.
That's the best solution
to the changing chord stuctures in hardware although a similar thing can be done with a use EDP (which I have a pristine one for sale) with it's use of linear single loops (moreLoops)

This can also be done handily in software, though I'm not the one to advise you about it's particular solution.

The creation of samples on the fly that can immediately be mapped to a keyboard is something I've wanted to do
as well.

I know that the MPC paradigm of Akai Sample Work stations allows for the retriggering of samples but I've never owned
on and don't know if it can be done in real time.

We have talked about adding a lot more functionality and control to the 'Q' concept in the LP-1 but all the delays on the LP-2 this year have decidedly back burnered any new work on that.
Once the LP-2 is out, I think we may begin working on this.

I'd love to be able to have a hardware looper that can manipulate and slice of real time loops (in much the same way that many new software solutions allow for the immediate slicing of loops using individual transients as a guide and the immediate mapping of such slices to midi notes for retriggering and even rhythmic retriggering ala
the MPC approach.

I know that Expert Sleepers, "Crossfade Loop Synth" in software allows for some powerful real time
manipulation of loops

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/xfadelooper.html

Michael Peters on this loop has a lot of experience using this live and I though it is on my list of things to do and learn this year, I haven't learned it yet. You might look into it.

Also, I'm not sure how powerful the scripting possibilities of Mobius are in software but Jeff Larson, Per Boysen or several other people might be able to advise you about using that solution to accomplish what you want.

I think definitely, you'll probably need at least a couple of software/hardware solutions to accomplish everything you envision.

The only drawback is that it's going to take you time even if you have software/hardware that will accomplish your task to set up a song in real time in front of an audience.

Martin Simpson completely retunes his guitar between every single song in concert.....something that would be considered to be perilously slow to accomplish in a live show but he pulls it off by being a good showman and excellent story teller who can be entertaing as he's actually setting up his next song.

You might be able to do something similar........work out a way of being entertaining as you set up all your chord structures and individual 'beatbox' vocal syllables for retriggering...............or you could do it all ahead of the game. It will come off less spontaneous, imho, if you choose the latter.

Good luck,  it's a very creative and ambitious show you are preparing.
I can't wait to see you perform it at next years festival.

rick walker