RE: Vorstadtprinzessinnenklangwellen

hi Kevin,

> Care to explain your looping process on this piece?  I really enjoyed
> it and found a lot that sounds very much like what I've wanted to
> accomplish in my looping (the rhythmic elements and transitions
> especially).

I use Bidule on a Windows laptop. The looping is done with 3 instances of
Matthias Grob's Echoloop plugin (which is mostly identical to the EDP). I
usually set a loop (say, 5 seconds) on the first Echoloop and feed it with
stuff. This loop sets the master time for all other plugins. The second
Echoloop is synced to the first but with a different length - here I've set
it to a 6:8 ratio which will give you synced overlaps, and you can do
minimalist polyrhythms. There are more plugins synced to the 1st Echoloop,
like the fabulous Catchdad sequencer (you can hear it plinking and plonking
away during the first minutes) that takes your audio and makes rhythms from
it; or the equally fabulous Illformed dblue-glitch plugin. The 3rd Echoloop
is also synced to the 1st but it is set to a much longer time, I usually
feed it with rhythms (from some drum machine plugin (synced to the 1st
loop)
or my wavedrum) and/or with bass lines and/or with soundscapes.

Instead of 3 instances of the Echoloop, I guess you can also use Moebius
which lets you run several synced loops in polyrhythms, but I never used it
and can't say anything about it. When I ditched my heavy rack containing 2
EDPs, I felt it was a soft transition to the software EDPs, and I got used
to using them. I also like to wire the 3 loopers into different positions
in
my bidule setup. For instance, the long 3rd loop (containing some
rhythms/dub bass at 17:00) can be fed back into Catchdad and the Glitch
plugin, whereas the first 2 loops go straight towards the output.

About the transitions in the piece, I really don't know how I do them :)
You'd have to ask for a specific position in this piece, maybe I can tell
then. But I use a Nanokey a lot to control plugin settings and fade things
in and out.

Hope this helps, please ask if there are more questions.

-Michael
veloopity.bandcamp.com