Re: Logic Pro 199,- download / Mainstage 2.2

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Raül Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, plogue bidule does exactly that, several versions ago.

Yes, that's correct. Before Mainstage existed I always used Bidule to
switch between effect patches. In fact, when Mainstage came around it
was like a copy of my Bidule setup, but better sounding and less CPU
intensive. But my Bidule Group for dynamically awaiting the previous
patch's tail to go down before closing the old line is still better
than the fixed number of seconds overlap Mainstage uses (BTW, if
anyone wants to pick up this custom made Group it is named "Tailprsv".
Should be shared by the deep hackers at the Bidule forum, or I can
send one by email). My reason for using Mainstage rather than Bidule
today is not this simple patch switching but the better (and way less
expensive) effect plugins and virtual instruments (synths, sampler)
that comes as part of MS. It's just ridiculously cheap that you now
get all that for $30.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM, todd reynolds <toddreyn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait... I do this with the effects chain in Live's Audio Effects rack all
> the time using the chain selector, overlapping delays and all...

Yes, many do so. The difference is that Live doesn't fully offload CPU
load for devices not in use. Mainstage can do that because it loads
every plugin into RAM when you boot up the application. I happily use
Live now but there is no way I could keep 55 alternative patches at
hand, in Live, to be instantly loaded by kicking a foot switch, each
one of those patches almost maxing out the CPU when active. In Live I
go with a different approach: I set up a couple effects I might use
and simply turn them off or on (like the rack trick you mentioned).
Since the last Live 8 upgrade Live has gotten way more CPU friendly
and I'm noticing here that exactly the same number of third-party
effects use less of the CPU when run under Live compared to when run
under Mainstage. But that's not the point in using Mainstage.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen