Re: Re: Nerves on Stage: was Liking/Disliking your own music

about stage fright, richard sales wrote:

When it's really bad, I tell myself it will all be over in an hour or two.

A therapist once hipped me to a cool fact about fear of failure and fear of judgement.

She said that when you experience that fear, it is always the fear of being both judged and abandoned
by people (the audience, even yourself).

The fact of the matter is, though, the pain and emotional discomfort of feeling that fear
 is the worst consequence of that abandonment.

So a good thing to tell oneself is 'I've already felt the worst thing that could possibly happen',
so it's not really necessary to keep staying there."

I don't know, but I use that like a mantra when I'm afraid before a gig.

Next subject...........what are ways we sabotage ourselves onstage, preparing for a gig.
I'll start that one in the next thread.

Rick Walker