Re: Copyrighting Improvised Music

I didn't know that about TONO! I'm affiliated with STIM here and STIM
doesn't apply special regulations to improvised vs composed music -
but well some genre specific targeting (different genres being
compensated according different tariffs - yes, a grey area). A
(different) new thing with STIM is that you can register work as
"Library", meaning you compose it for specific use in media and not to
be offered the public market. That's for producing composers that want
to sell their work directly business-to-business wise to music users.
I don't use that option though, as I have decided to work with an
independent media music publishing house that handles STIM on one side
and on the other side promotes my music on B2B market. I guess that is
better in the long run.

Related rant:
Sometimes you hear people say that improvised music should be
compensated at a lower rate than composed for the reason that "it only
takes three minutes to perform a three minute piece of improvised
music while three minutes composed music might have been worked on for
a year". I thing this attitude is a misconception based on ignorance.
In the real world no one is born out of nowhere with an instant
ability to create music on the spot. If an artist wants to spend ten
years developing this ability it just as an important preparation as
another artist that might use ten years to "think up" ten specific
musical pieces.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com