Re: Copyrighting Improvised Music > stealing or being inspired..

Wow, she really looked around for useful chunks! ;-)) I found the
article interesting but I can't say I like it. Journalism that focuses
on negative views of creator's activities is just a sad and pathetic
phenomenon. It's all on the table, everyone should be able to simply
listen and judge by themselves instead of letting knitty-picky lawyers
destroy art. But it hasn't just been Madonna "stealing": I remember
producer William Orbit was called in for Madonna's Ray of Light album
in the nineties and since I've always been an admire of his electronic
production style (bold and musical at the same time, rough with good
taste) I looked forward that album. Guess my surprise when it was
released and most of its music was Orbits old instrumental solo albums
(the Strange Cargo series). Obviously he "pushed" his content into a
second round instead of writing new material with Madonna (have no
clue why this happened or if they tried to write new material first
and he finally through in his old stuff just to "secure the gig").
Same old instrumental Orbit albums also turn up as background music
for "songs with Beth Orton" (although Beth had guest appeared on some
of his early recordings).

I personally don't mind that though, IMO it's always interesting to
experience the same music backing different  vocalists. Kind of the
same vibe as remix work. BTW I heard Madonna were a bit annoyed with
Orbit because the finalizing of the album "took too long time", but
when listening to that album it all makes sense because it really
sounds good in a way that justifies retroactive degradation of Orbit's
own instrumental albums as "pre production" ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen