Re: STRATEGIES for REHARMONIZATION in LIVE LOOP COMPOSITION

A tritone substitution is the use of a V7 that is three whole steps (a tritone) from the original chord.

Tritone substitution always share two pitches: third and seventh, albeit reversed.

In a G7 chord, the third is B and the seventh is F. In its tritone substitution - Db7 - the third is an F and the seventh is Cb (B, enharmonically speaking). The interval between the third and seventh of a dominant seventh chord is itself a tritone.

And a quick question,  I often hear of this 'tritone substitution' but I'm not quite sure how you generated it
in this particular example.    How did you pick the Db 7+ substitution for the G7 chord?    What was your formula

and what does the '+' sign mean in that chord spelling?

Nothing, just a typo. I meant to write: Db7 (sorry !)

Rick

-f