Re: Minimum spec PC for Abelton Live

mark francombe schrieb:
I have read that cos i5 doesnt have "multi-threading" but i3 has, that sometimes i3 is actually better... (im writing sentances I dont know what they mean here, did I get away with it?)
Uhhh, this goes into a lot of depth. I believe you mean hyperthreading, which is (in a very basic simplification) to have a second set of peripheral registers for every core, so you can already prepare for the next processing step, thus making each core appear as two to the OS. Which, incidentially, would actually slow down performance on pre-Windows-7-non-x64 windows OSes ;). Also, the fact that i5 don't have hyperthreading is only true for the Nehalem, not for Sandy/Ivy Bridge ;) - in other words, i5 in current models do have hyperthreading.

Generally, I found passmark (passmark.com) results to be a good starting point for CPU performance. Also, DPC latency is an important quantity (this is not for the processor, but for the processor/chipset/bios/whatever combo - the actual computer, if you will), as those can effectively keeping you from using the computer for live audio, no matter how fast your cpu is...

Sadly, there's no simple rule here. And one must not forget the AMD cpus, which in recent years have caught up very well (the aforementioned netbook of mine has an AMD cpu, which mainly I chose because of the superior GPU compared to Intels in the low-power segment at that date).

      Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs