Flying with a guitar... or not

Hi Gang!

I am deeply honored to be able to play this year's festival. One thing
that keeps me awake, though, besides performance anxiety, is something
even more horrible than modern air travel: modern air travel with a
guitar. Out of all my guitars, I cannot think of a single one that I would
willingly risk to careless or felonious baggage handlers or overzealous
members of the Security Industrial Complex. Sneaking a few pedals into my
onboard bag should be easy, but the guitar is a much bigger deal.

Therefore I think I'd be best served by a guitar that will fit onboard and
be playable but not something I'll get all sentimental over. Should I just
look for a vintage Hondo II Chiquita (ka-ching!$) or an Erlewine Lazer
(ka-ching again!)? I've been told that even those Hohner Steinberger
copies are getting pricey. Maybe one of those novelty mini-strats? Any
ideas would most welcome and greatly appreciated.