Re: Great round-up article comparing DAWs

Do you really think a score chart would make sense? The writer did
explain well the pros and cons with each DAW and when it comes to how
effectively you work with a DAW it doesn't have much to do with
measurable features as it has to do with your own approach to using
the DAW as your tool. I think not presenting an overal score chart is
what makes this article trustable, serious and professional.

I started out with an Atari computer and Steinberg Pro-24 software
plus a bunch of rack synths and samplers. The Pro-24 sucked (did not
keep up the timing) and when Cubase was launched I switched to that.
By the time digital hard disc recording got available the company
Atari died and only Digidesign offered the needed CPU extension
hardware needed for the Mac platform. So I stuffed away the Atari and
the Akai samplers to buy a Mac computer and an AudioMedia nubus card
from Digidesing. As for software I decided to switch from Cubase to
the newcomer Logic, because when signed to major record labels as an
artist I had met many DJ based remix engineers that all reworked our
tracks in C-Lab (Logic's predecessor) and been able to hear with my
own ears that MIDI timing was good in C-Lab Creator/Notator but sucked
in Cubase. By then only Logic and Cubase offered hard disc recording
and there was still no option for Windows PC. These caught up though,
thanks to the Pentium processors, and then the extra hardware from
Digidesign was not needed; you could in fact record audio on a native
system. Already back then Digi's products were very expensive (because
they work in a stable way, and pro's tend to pay for that) so I
decided to "go native" and cross-graded my Logic licens to run on
Windows PC. That was a great system around the late nineties! Then
Ableton Live came around with a good solution for "flexible audio",
wich in technical terms means instant time-stretching to match tempo
changes and pitch shifting and I started using Live quite a lot. Live
started out as a great live sampler but over time it changed into
becoming a DAW so with Logic around I really didn't find much use for
Live (except for some live work setups). And when Logic suddenly
joined the party, quite late, and offered flex audio I very rarely
find any need to boot up Live (only for doing real-time playback based
random scripted slicing and DSP processing of recorded looops; Live is
very good at that, like an instant StutterEdit thing).

That was my personal DAW history. All other software I have been and
am using is for realt-time performance; Bidule, Mainstage, M... But
the more you tweak the more you learn about sound design and realize
that most DSP can be achieved by nifty signal routing in many
different applications. My audio imagination works along the classic
studio concept: a sound source is led into a mixer where the signal
can be EQ'ed, spitted and sent to a patchbay where it passes through
all kinds of gear before it returns to the mixer to be blended with
everything else. Nothing of this has changed in the digital world,
it's all the same thinking and thus a lot of applications are good for
most things. For me Logic in the studio and Mainstage on the stage is
the most convenient because both applications share the same database
of prestes and channel strips. You "get more for less" not only
money-wise but also measured in time worked.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen