Re: Great round-up article comparing DAWs

I've been meaning to make a page comparing Digital Performer and Logic for
some time. I have a file where I write down comparisons and absurdities. I
have to organize it more. I have used DP/Performer since '86 and Logic for
three or four years. I keep running up against implements one or the other
does well or horribly.

One thing is for sure, as pointed out in the article, these programs
require a lot of hours of use. I've slacked off of late and so am not
qualified to comment on ultimate workflow, especially as I've been putting
energy into learning Final Cut. On the other hand, I think a newbies
perspective is extremely useful. I found myself in the most frustrating
places when I started learning Logic because I clicked somewhere and got
nothing or ended up somewhere strange. Without a teacher, it took the kind
feedback of people on forums to learn what is wrong. (I wish I lived in a
different timezone in such cases).

Another point mentioned, is that whichever program you learned first is
going to make a very strong impression. I have fantasized that if I ever
taught a class in DAWs I would choose several and have the students rotate
through them learning the different terms for the same thing in each
program.

One more point which I think applies to which computer platform you choose
also, is that you might be better off to choose whatever program/platform
someone who will help you has. If your mentor uses a certain program and
you are going to be working with him/her, you should probably get the same
setup.

One thing not mentioned was the advantages of using two DAWs. For example,
I will take a track recorded in Logic and open it in DP to do pitch
correction, then import it back into Logic. One yearns for more
inter-application interchangeability, though at least it is doable now.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch
http://www9.plala.or.jp/edurbrow/