Re: 50th anniversary of realtime looping?

Dave Draper wrote:

Wasn't Les Paul doing it in the fifties? I feel it must be older than fifty years somehow?
Dave

No, he had a tape deck with a stop/start footswitch.
..and pre-recorded backing.

Stockhausen had a live loop setup that was different to the "time lag
accumulator".

Just one deck, a tape loop, and the heads swapped round.
I'll see if I can find a date.
I suspect that I read this in a rare book that was lost when Norwich
Library burned.

....but presumably it was *before* this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_(Stockhausen)

which uses seven tape decks in series, a much more complex arrangement.

andy