Re: Any news on LP2, anyone?

Jim Bjorklun wrote:

2) When synching a LP2 loop to MIDI clock, how does the loop recording
start and stop work? For example, the Pigtronix Infinity does this:

--> Rec – Recording starts at the start of the next measure after the
switch has been pressed.
--> Stop – Stops loop audio at the start of the next measure after the
switch has been pressed.

This strikes me as an elegant method, and I'm curious if the LP2 also
operates like this, or in a different way.

Rick will fill in the answers, but on this point.

That's *not* a good way to do record for midi sync,
although it probably seems to be if you haven't actually used sync.
To assume that the 'riff' (or whatever) starts at the beginning of the bar
is just really strange, perhaps influenced by drum machine programming
and some sample based music. A lot of time the musician plays a lead in
beat to the start
of the bar, and quite often the first beat is accented by placing it
slightly
forward in time.
What's needed is to start to record straight away, but end the recording
automatically
so that loop length becomes an exact multiple of the bar length.

That's how the LP1 works when syncing tracks internally, it's the tried and
tested method on any well designed product, so I'd guess that's what the
LP2 does.

I like the Pigtronix stuff a lot, but they don't have the long history of working with live looping that's needed to really get that right.

andy