Re: Realistic drum programming/recording for songs

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> The hard quantization seems counter-intuitive but I guess it makes sense

That has been my "hard earned" experience. It is all about the
accents. Total control over and expressiveness through the accents!!!

> - though I think that shifting i.e. hihat notes a bit gives the drum
> pattern either drive or layed-back feeling.

Yes. Lots of educational examples is to be found on record with
drummers like Stuart Copeland and Bill Bruford.

Here it is also interesting to analyze "The Rolling Stones
Phenomenon"; several ensemble members stretching the timing into
different directions but still not falling out of the groove. No
randomization algorithm can fake that :-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen