Re: WHAT WERE WE DOING, MUSICALLY BEFORE WE LOOPED?

A tough one this.  My first looping experiments were done using a cassette that I’d spliced together, feeding the output into another tape deck, in 1981..  Very noisy but still!  Same year, I cruised garage sales and bought two reel-to-reel decks, and did some recording of that, still very noisy.  I tried using some bucket method chips from Radio Shack to make a looping device, but it turned out to be more of a delay-reverb.  After that I coughed up the money for an Ibanez delay that had (gasp) up to 1000ms delay, but what I wanted of course was Frippertronics with at least 4 seconds.

After that I experimented with repeated sequences on an SH-101, which I had to sell to make rent in ‘87.  And in 1992 I bought my first DigiTech 7.6 Time Machine.  THAT was recordable, and not very noisy. Smile

Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:35 PM
Subject: RE: WHAT WERE WE DOING, MUSICALLY BEFORE WE LOOPED?

Hmm --Learned "House of the Rising Sun" in 1967;
First Mind-Blower: My older cousin plays "In The Court of The Crimson King" -I'm about 11yo and very scared, but fascinated
[ side note: Growing up in St Louis we had few radio choices -Rock n Roll from KSHE, which at that time played good stuff, and the East St. Louis jazz and funk stations ]
Early 70s played lots of Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent,
Mid 70's -got turned on to Leo Kottke, John Fahey, and started played bottleneck, 12 st.
Later 70's -First Punk Rock Gig:  a guitar player I knew in college was sick and I got to sit in with her Lesbian Punk band --nervously played "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" at their gig
Second Mind-Blower: 82-Moved to Seattle where I met Fred Chalenor & Henry Franzoni -went to their Face Ditch cassette release party, ate some heavily dosed Black Jello. Have never been the same. My playing expanded exponentially into avant noise, more jazz and darker shit than ever before
83 -moved to Santa Cruz -Played various HardCore punk bands, Ska & Reggae bands, bought my first synth -- Sequential Circuits Pro 1, Mid 80s got into Big Medicine Head -alt country punk --I brought my tool box of noise and punk licks to Bob Gemmell's country songs
90 -Quit music when my oldest son was born --the 80s were dark & toxic and I needed to be a father.
Late 90s/early 2000 -My wife got into belly dancing and I joined in the fun, playing saz, oud, dumbec;
later days--studied raga singing with Michael Stirling, bass with Glen Moore, got my first looper, stopped playing belly dance music and got back to loud, gutsy rock n roll.
Still looping -- but more songwriting and guitar playing nowadays