Re: oberheim echoplex serial number

Firstly, just so you know, I don't have a direct answer for you. Sorry.

I'm just writing to say (because sometimes it's helpful to know for sure a problem is or is NOT a problem with a given unit or setup) that I've owned 4 Echoplexes in my lifetime so far and all had great sound.

So for what it's worth, I don't know what "a bit 'dusty'" means (though I am curious) but I can't imagine it being your ear or how it's "supposed" to sound. That's good news actually because someone who knows more then me will probably write and tell you to switch out the audio input or something simple. (The EDP input is a great broad range input [with clear lows to highs] but maybe something isn't right about yours now.)

The one thing I think of when I hear your description I think it is probably
NOT (because it would only happen when you turn one of the rotary dials) is literally dust in the pots, which can cause a crackling sound when you twist them but generally that goes away after twisting it many times to work out the dust. Still… could be worth a try… just turn it off and rotate the knobs back and fourth repeatedly for a while then try again. If there was a little popping sound here and there and it went away, congradulations, that was it!

I'm glad you like your Echoplex. Also for what it's worth, though I have not tried the very latest generation of loopers, I've tried many over the last 5 or 6 years and never found one I liked as much as the Echoplex.

So have fun, hold onto it (fix it), and good luck!

---Christopher