Re: Would love your input, stories, suggestions

Hello Amy,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:29 AM, Amy X Neuburg <amyx@isproductions.com> wrote:
b) any constructive suggestions for this group of professionals. How might they support artists who are dependent on their products? How might they continue to develop new products but keep us happy as well, and make this profitable? What about trying harder to keep upgrades compatible with older software/hardware? Are there options to having to purchase new laptops every few years?

I keep dedicated computers and phones for music and rarely update them. Once they are stable and if kept unconnected to the internet and other networks, refraining from updates causes no issues.

I've also gravitated towards writing my own software and using opensource alternatives rather than relying on the development efforts, as prodigal as they can be, of a lone developer. This way, I can keep the software going through the inevitable hardware upgrade.

For hardware, I no longer purchase any USB controller or audio devices that aren't "class compliant" (i.e. those that do not require drivers). This removes the dependency on driver upgrades and keeps everything running through updates.