Re: Free improv

> Personally, I don't think you should be too shy about speaking your mind
> about the effectiveness of these dubious rules/non-rules regarding free
> improvisation.
> As I read these postings I found myself thinking:-
> "And you expect people to listen to this?
> Why not let a bunch of kids jump on your instruments?
> They have fewer preconceptions than us adults.
> I've nothing against new music ideas but lets have ideas that work, (i
> know your going to say I'm being judgemental) but I function on the
> premise that there IS good music and bad music.

I agree with your last sentence.   Just as there is good rock and bad rock,
good jazz and bad jazz, etc. there is also good free improv and bad free
improv.

Good free improv has a conversation going on between two or more musicians
(which is why, I think, it is a tough assignment to do good free improv
solo because you're basically talking to yourself).   If you think about
it, conversations in real life are never pre-planned.  I do not have a
script that I read from and memorize before I talk to you and I bet you
do not have one either before you talk to me.   Good free improv is like
good conversation.

I guess its no coincidence that when I hear free improv I don't like, it
sounds like at least one person is not listening to the other(s).

Cheers,
Paolo