Delurk, intro and a couple of questions.

Hi, loopheads.

I suppose it's finally time for me to come out of the closet. My name is
Risto Paalanen, and I'm a looper. I've been lurking on LD for years now,
and I'd like to thank everyone on the list for their ideas; this is
(occasional warts and all) probably the best web-community I've had the
pleasure of running into.

I'm currently playing (guitar and doodads) in a noise/industrial/ambient
band called Älymystö (whose sound is currently under renovation and
apparently turning into something a bit like this for our upcoming CD:
http://www.taphead.net/kolminaisuus.mp3), and doing occasional solo
performances in a more free-improv vein.

Anyway, on to the dilemma! My current gig setup is Guitar -> Pod Pro ->
Mixer -> Loopers (DL-4 and Repeater) -> Mixer -> PA. My problems with
this are twofold:

1) Pod Pro is a versatile box, but unfortunately a bit too sterile for
my taste. I'd like to use something that responds more to the changes in
style of play, preferably without lugging my trusty Rivera around.

2) I'd like to minimise the amount of equipment I have to haul. A rack
is an easy solution, but lately I've been trying out Ableton Live and
have pretty much been floored by it. (At this point, special kudos to
Per Boysen, whose work with the software has been absolutely stunning.)

So. I've been thinking about switching to an all-laptop setup. I'll
probably get a Powerbook, since the hefty pricetag does reflect on
stability and performance. Them's the breaks.

I would prefer not having an amp at all and just settle for running the
guitar signal through a DI into a laptop running a modelling amplifier /
Ableton Live, controlled with the FCB1010 and possibly a BCR2000 as MIDI
controllers. Would any of you folks have experiences with software-amps?
A second solution would be a Vox Tonelab SE, which seems to me to be
more responsive than the Pod. The downside would be the real estate it
takes up on stage as well as the need for extra tapdancing.

Oh, if any there are any loopers in Finland looking for collaborators or
such, feel free to give me a holler.

Pax,
R.