RE: loop quantization question

> From: Joshua Carroll
> I'd recommend checking out the manuals for the EDP and the
> Looperlative before you deal with the patent office too much.
> I've dealt with them before, and it can cost you a ton of time
> and money if you've overlooked

Yes, if you're going to whip out the lawyers, be prepared to have a
few tens of thousands of dollars laying around (that you can risk
losing), and set aside one or two years for distraction, anger,
bitterness, and all those lovely emotions that seem to happen
whenever lawyers are near ;-)

Look, I'm sure it's obvious by now that I wrote Mobius and it may
sound like I'm trying to discourage you, but I've been in the software
business a lot longer than you have and I'm just trying to bring a
little reality to the discussion.

Maybe the reason you didn't think anyone had done this before is
because you were looking at the major software vendors: Native
Instruments, Cakewalk, Steinberg, etc.  and not the "hobbyists" that
do it because they love it and are happy to get an occasional
donation.

Maybe the reason that the major software vendors haven't done this is
because it isn't worth their time?

You've written something really cool, with what appears to be a nice
clean interface that will be a lot easier to understand and use than
some of the existing loopers.  I encourage you to develop it, anything
that makes the world of looping more accessible is fine by me.

How much were you thinking you could make on this?  A million dollars
(10,000 copies at $100)?  No one makes that on software like this.
And don't even think of trying to sell this in the $500 range, people
expect everything short of oral sex from $500 music software.

I've lost interest in trying to measure the size of this market, I can
only relate my own experience.  Mobius is a relatively popular
software looper within our little looping community.  I give it away for
free because I reached a point in my life where I wanted to use my
talents to support the arts (but that's another long story).

There are about 100 people in my Yahoo group, I estimate that maybe
half of those are serious users that would be willing to give me a
donation.  Donations for self-distributed software usually run in the
$50 to $100 range.  Maybe there are 100 more users that just haven't
bothered to join the group.  So that's 150 users at $50 for a grand
total of $7,500.

This is going to sound arrogant, but that isn't a lot of money to most
professional engineers.  It isn't worth my time to go "commercial" for
that kind of return because once people start paying you for software,
they expect a certain level of support and "polish" that I just
don't need to mess with.

Maybe if I took out some ads in Electronic Musician or Guitar Player I
could generate more leads.  But I'm simply not willing to risk
thousands of dollars in advertising on a product that I can barely
give away for free.

Again I do encourage you to continue developing this.  Who knows,
maybe you'll have enough energy for promotion to become wildly
successful.  If so I'll be cheering for you from my little
corner of the looping world.  But I strongly advise that before
you start investing thousands of dollars in advertising
(or legal fees) that you have a really good idea of how large
your market is, and what they're willing to pay.

Regards,
Jeff